Today was the day that the TV man was to come, as the TV point in the apartment has apparently not been working for the last couple of years at least. I needed to stay local as I didn't want him to head back for Inverness without having a look at the apartment block distribution system.
Along with the TV point, the door entry system was kaput. I knew this from the previous tenants. Prior to my current visit to the apartment I took steps to get a replacement unit, with Fermax UK getting my business for their 3399 universal replacement unit.
When I spoke to a chap in Fermax's tech support department a couple of weeks back, he advised that there was an 80 to 90% chance that the 3399 would do the job and work with the intercom system.
Given the bathroom problems of yesterday, sorting the door entry system was hardly a priority. However, I bought two Fermax products, the handset costing about £25, but the other product - which allows remote activation of the door opener - cost substantially more. I have 14 days to return the products, which will be up early next week. Therefore, I had to make a start and work out whether the products would actually work with the intercom system.
The problem with the current intercom system (apart from not working in my apartment) is that it is completely unbranded, handset and external panel both. Luckily for me, having emailed Fermax tech support with picture and wiring info, they recognised the unit as being an Urmet handset, and kindly provided a wiring conversion diagram. I switched over the unit, and with the help of a neighbour, tested it, and it worked first time. I can for the first time now hear people when the buzz me, and let them in without running downstairs to let them in! Once the hallway is decorated the handset will be properly sited, but it's safely stuck to the wall for now, albeit temporarily.
The bathroom situation needed to be dealt with, so en route back from a trip to the tip, I stopped by Spey Valley Hire Centre in Aviemore, and luckily for me they had a fan heater for £17. Just the job to start drying out months, or even years of leaking water. It's been running for several hours, but dread to know the amount of electricity it's using in the process. Needs must though.
The main purpose of the visit here this week was to get the apartment decorated, although I knew there were quite a few other jobs to sort too. I have to say that the whole decorating lark has gone quite slowly, and bedroom two isn't quite finished yet. The walls have had two or three coates of magnolia, and ceiling today received its first coat of paint. I do hope that it's taken well, but there's no telling until it dries, which is when I usually notice many imperfections and end up doing a second coat. The room is bow completely empty, and in a change from the picture, the carpet has been removed too.
On Monday I'd contacted Duncans Digital Solutions Centre in Inverness, as I saw from a note in the loft area that they had installed the satellite system. At about 3pm today, the new intercom buzzer sounded. It was the TV man. Long story short... He's connected the apartment to the block's satellite distribution system, I bougyt a FreeSat box from him, and the place at last has working live TV, in addition to the Smart TV piped via broadband.